Issue 2, July 2013
You are receiving this email because of your interest in constitutional reform issues and/or membership of International IDEA’s Constitution building thematic website ConstitutionNet.Org. It provides you with an update on all new content – news, analyses, events, new resources, etc. - created within the network over the last month.
To access the content, click on any of the links below or visit www.ConstitutionNet.Org
Voices from the field
- Six years after its adoption, Carlos Ruiz Giraldo, ConstitutionNet member and Former Advisor to Ecuador’s Constituent Assembly assesses the state of implementation of the rights of nature recognized by Ecuador’s 2008 Constitution.
- In these two dispatches from Kenya, Mugambi Laibuta examines the implications for Kenyan constitutionalism and democracy of the rise of constitutional commissions and independent offices in the system of powers as well as emerging turf battles between Kenya’s new political institutions.
Want to be a ConstitutionNet Voice from the field? Contact us!
In the media this month
- The MENA revolutions: then and now
- Egypt’s new Constitutional declaration: a déjà vu?
- Why Morsi’s unseating can neither be condoned nor condemned
- What Tunisia should learn from Egypt
- Moving towards new CA elections in Nepal
- Libya–Parliament approves law to draft new Constitution
- Egypt – June 30 Front demands new Constitution before elections
- Myanmar – Ethnic alliance mulls constitutional reforms
- South Sudan – Dozens offer input for future constitution
- Nepal – Government sets date for new constituent assembly elections
- Tunisia – CA divided over draft Constitution
Country constitutional profiles
Latest library documents
- Unofficial English translation by International IDEA of the Egyptian constitutional declaration of 8 July 2012
- Unofficial English translation by International IDEA of the fourth draft of the Tunisia Constitution
- Findings of the national comprehensive survey on the Libyan Constitution (Arabic)
- 2008 Constitution of Ecuador (English)
Events (recent and upcoming)
- Central European University launches summer program on Constitution building in Africa: 24-29 June 2013
- International IDEA supports constitutional processes South Sudan: 27-30 June 2013
- First IDEA-Tilburg University Constitutions Seminar: 12 July 2013
- Conference on Constitution Making in Africa: 6 September 2013
Vacancies and other opportunities in CBPs
- Senior Project Officer, Constitution building, The Hague, Netherlands
- Call for papers- Regional organizations, rule of law and constitutional governance
New members on ConstitutionNet
- Ayman Haiba (Shura Council, Egypt)
- Christina Murray (Fmrly of the Kenyan Committee of Experts on the Constitution)
- Katrin Seidel (Max Planck Institute for Social Antropology)
- Mahmoud Samir Elgammal (Freedom and Justice Party)
- Ologou Expedit Bofouni (Centre for Constitutional Law, University of Abomey Calavi, Benin)